Renovations have begun on the old Park Emergency Hospital building at 811 Stanyan Street. The building, featured in the 1971 film Dirty Harry, was indeed a functioning hospital from 1902 until 1978, and an ambulance station until 1991. It’s currently home to the SF Recreation & Park Department’s Natural Areas & Volunteer Programs, which have been relocated to McLaren Lodge and the basement of Kezar Pavilion during construction.
According to RPD Project Manager Rick Thall, the majority of the work will be done inside the building in order to bring it up to code. There will also be some exterior work done to restore the facade and improve ADA access with the addition of a ramp on the North side of the building. The work should be completed by the end of summer.